In March, Kinect for Windows announced that an update to the software development kit (SDK) would be coming, which would feature enhanced voice and gesture capabilities for developers, businesses and organizations to create new innovations with the magic of Kinect in Windows environments. Today, v1.5 of the Kinect for Windows SDK is now available for download.
Some of the new features include:
- Kinect Studio, a new tool that allows developers to record and playback Kinect data.
- A set of Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) to guide developers on best practices for the creation of Natural User Interfaces using Kinect.
- The Face Tracking SDK, which provides a real-time 3D mesh of facial features, tracking the head position, location of eyebrows and shape of the mouth.
- âSeatedâ or â10-jointâ skeletal tracking, which provides the capability to track the head, neck and arms of either a seated or standing user.
- New samples in both C++ and C#, plus a âBasicsâ series of samples with language coverage in C++, C# and Visual Basic.
- Four new languages for speech recognition, including French, Spanish, Italian and Japanese.
- New language packs to enable speech recognition with the way a language is spoken in different regions, including English/Great Britain, English/Ireland, English/Australia, English/New Zealand, English/Canada, French/France, French/Canada, Italian/Italy, Japanese/Japan, Spanish/Spain and Spanish/Mexico.
Kinect for Windows will also be available four additional countries, including Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan. Beginning June 1, the Kinect for Windows sensor will be available in 15 additional countries, including Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, Finland, India, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Arab Emirates.
The system combines hardware, software and licensing that enables developers to create a new class of Windows-based applications using gesture and voice, and encourage companies and organizations worldwide to enhance their operations and relationships with customers. The release of the Kinect for Windows commercial product is only the beginning. Kinect gives thought leaders the tools to reimagine and transform the way we do things with new Kinect-enabled tools.
The Kinect for Windows commercial license and purchasable hardware will be available in the UAE at a suggested retail price of AED 915. The price includes a one-year warranty and access to ongoing software updates for both speech and human tracking.